Monday, April 11, 2016

Trailer Hitch

We’ve never had a car with a trailer hitch.  Or wait, rather I’ve never had a car with a trailer hitch; I’m fairly certain my husband and his family had when he was younger.   My family wasn’t the camping type and we didn’t have motorcycles, bicycles or other things that needed to be towed behind our cars.   Mostly I grew up with sedans…

Okay, hold the phone just a minute.   As I’m writing this and picturing in my mind my parent’s cars from my childhood I distinctly remember a trailer hitch ball on at least one of them—possibly a blue Mercedes they had for years.   I’m not sure, but because my parents preferred to buy used cars over new ones, there’s a chance they did have a trailer hitch.

But with all ambiguity aside, I have exactly zero experience adding a hitch ball to a car, adding a thing that will be towed to the hitch ball and then towing said thing around.    Not a clue how it all works.    

The Tesla Model X has the capability to tow things with an optional added hitch that we decided to get.   Who knows, my husband might make a camper out of me yet; we might need to cart bikes around or he might want to tow his motorcycle somewhere.   We weren’t sure but it made sense so we added the hitching option.

Today we got a bicycle rack that attaches to the trailer hitch.   The interesting thing with the hitch is it’s hidden.  It’s so very Tesla to have it all out of the way for aerodynamic purposes.   With the removal of a plate and the addition of the hitch hardware, suddenly we can tow very large things behind us.

I’m looking forward to taking the bicycles somewhere for a ride as a family.  Oh, that and I have a triathlon I’m going to need to get training for soon since it’s next month.

The Big Boy Update:   My son doesn’t say he loves us very much, but I think that’s a boy thing.   He does some days and sometimes, but it depends on his mood.   Yesterday he told dad he loved him.   Dad said he loved him too and then my son said, “I love you more.”

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:   Sometimes we get fooled by how well we think our daughter can see.  Today we went to an outdoor, natural play area to meet some other families after school.   There is a pine needle lined path that leads to the play area through some woods.   My daughter couldn’t tell the difference in the path (darker) from the sides (sticks, growth, variation in color).   I had to help her several times to get back on the path.   When we got to the paved black path I thought she’s fare better but she was having difficulty still and almost walked off the edge where cinderblocks lined the side.   She said to me, “mom, remember I can’t see that well.”   Sigh, I know.  I just keep hoping it’s better.

No comments:

Post a Comment