Sunday, April 10, 2016

Rock and Roll for Boston

I ran another marathon race today.   I run slowly, there is no arguing that and today, my running buddy and I did indeed run slowly, crossing the finish line at about five hours.   It wasn’t our slowest run or our fastest run but since neither of us have been running or speed training, it was a fine time we decided.

We had friends who ran too.  One was the husband of one of my girlfriends, who decided to sign up shortly before the race.   He didn’t want to get up early and since the race started right near his office downtown, he brought an inflatable mattress into his office and slept there, waking up and joining the race just before the start.

The person we were most excited about was our very own Uncle Jonathan, who had been training for months to be ready for this race.  He has been hoping to qualify for the Boston Marathon for some time but injuries have made it not possible.    We waved him a good luck as he headed off for corral one where the fastest runners start the race.   Our corral was eleven so we started about fifteen minutes after he did.

Not that long after we’d past the half-way point in the race we got a text from Uncle Jonathan.   He’d not only run the race at his fastest ever by a full half-hour, he qualified for the Boston Marathon’s 3:05 for his gender/age and got a 2:59 finish time.    So yeah, wow.   We’re all very excited for him.

The Big Boy Update:  My son said this tonight: “hello, comma, goodbye, comma.”   I said to him, “are you working on punctuation in your class?”  My husband said, “no, he’s copying me when I talk to the phone to dictate text messages and emails.”

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:  My daughter wanted to do the color game tonight.   She wanted to see what colors she could see with her right eye.   This is scary for her because we patch her left (good) eye with a blackout patch and then shine a light through theater light gels.    She was willing to not only have the eye patch, she got all the colors correct and was very specific about them.   Then she walked (holding hands) to the pantry with us and got some jelly beans as a reward.    She was completely unable to determine the color of the jelly beans, but her near vision may be where she sees the worst from what her ophthalmologist said.

Fitness Update:  Today was my sixth marathon race and my tenth time doing a marathon distance rum.   It’s hard to believe I’ve done so much running.   I always thought running was something people did to punish themselves.   Today’s race was sunny and chilly, but it was lots of fun…aside from the hills on the last four miles—those were awful.

1 comment:

  1. I like that. "marathon distance rum" makes it sound delicious.

    ReplyDelete