Sunday, April 3, 2016

Separated

My husband and I split up today with our children.   I took my son home and my husband and daughter will be heading to Detroit tomorrow for a check in with her retinal surgeon.   It’s nice having two children but a lot of the time the children are either both with you at the same time.   My husband and I try to do things separately with the children but we don’t usually get multiple days alone with a particular child.

My son and I had a very pleasant trip home via two plane trips.   He listened, was full of energy but payed attention and was mindful of my requests and we had fun together on and off the planes.   When we got home he was disappointed his friends hadn’t also returned from vacation as he wanted to go play with them in the yard.  He stood outside the front door for a while and looked around hopefully while I got the groceries in before dinner.

We went to my parent’s house for an impromptu meal and my son had a chance to clip some of their spring flowers to take to his class tomorrow for their flower arranging work station.   He was pretty excited about the flowers I think because they cut a lot in a variety of colors.   Tomorrow he’ll take a bucket in to share with his classmates.

My children sleep in the same room so tonight when it was time to go to bed I did our normal routine and then left, shutting the door behind me.   I went to the kitchen and asked Alexa to play my audio book from where I’d last left off.  My son opened the door a minute later, confused because he thought someone was in the house talking to me.   He asked me if he could keep the door open tonight.   I think he missed having someone in the room with him.

I called my husband a short while later and he said he’d have to call me back because my daughter was yelling from down the hall in her bedroom in Florida.   He called back a little later to tell me he thinks she just didn’t want to sleep alone and was coming up with excuses to keep him in the room with her.

I was an only child, but I loved sleepovers.   I’m sure my children will be happy when they’re back together again on Tuesday night.

The Big Boy Update:  My son told our house he had missed it.   My mother and I were talking when he did this, shortly after arriving from being away for a week.   She and I looked to see him kiss the door to the pantry.   Then he kissed the wall and then the door to the garage, telling the house several times how much he’d missed it.

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:  My mother- and father-in-law have a convertible in Florida with a back seat.   My children got to take turns riding in the car seat in it when we went out.   After deciding my son would ride over on the way to dinner my daughter asked him politely, “when we go home, can I have a ride in the vertical?”   He nodded and told her yes.

No comments:

Post a Comment