Friday, April 8, 2016

The Chicken Neck

I was talking to a friend the other day about how she always takes care of everyone else and puts herself last.   I told her, “you’re the chicken neck.”   Then, because it’s a strange thing to call someone, I said, “let me explain.”

When I was young my mother told me a story about her mother.   I never met my mother’s mother because she died before I was born but I’ve heard lots of stories about her.  My mother said they didn’t have a lot of money when she was growing up so they didn’t waste anything.   When they had chicken for dinner, they used every piece.   She told me her mother always ate the chicken neck, saying how much she loved it.    My mother told me it was many years later that she figured out her mother was letting her family have the better sections of the chicken and taking the least desirable for herself, and just saying it was her favorite.

That’s love.

The Big Boy Update:  We have a box of forty-two chalks of all different colors.  My son pulled out these specific six because they’re the colors of the Power Rangers.   The yellow one is actually the gold one but there wasn’t any gold chalk, oh, and the gold one is a “bad guy”


The Tiny Girl Chronicles:  We had a meeting today with my daughter’s teachers and her Orientation and Mobility teacher who is an expert in visually impaired children.   They wanted to make sure she was able to play safely on the new outdoor learning environment at our school.   There are lots of large boulders and the steps are low contrast, making it more challenging for her to navigate.    There were some good ideas we’ll all work on implementing going forward. 

No comments:

Post a Comment