Sunday, March 20, 2016

St. Patrick’s When?

I look forward to some holidays a great deal.   Other holidays aren’t as much of an interest to me.   For instance, my entire family looks forward to Halloween.   My son talks about costumes and my daughter lets us know her plans for candy collection.   I spend lots of time coming up with an adult drink to hand out in some spooky, creepy or icky way and my husband works on decorations.   Halloween has a mental span of weeks in our family.

Valentine’s day, not so much.   It’s too commercialized and hyped and since I love my husband all of the days of the year, being told there’s one day that’s more important than the others just doesn’t work for me.

Then there’s St. Patrick’s day.   Folks, I am telling you right now I have nothing against the holiday.   I just forget about it.   I know there’s some day coming up in March we’re suppose to wear green.   As adults going out and having green beer with friends is also highly rated.    But this entire holiday is one I keep missing.  

When I was in high school and maybe earlier than that I have memories of coming to school, having no idea it was St. Patrick’s day and wearing not even a hint of green.    I wasn’t particularly bothered by it because my friends weren’t the type to do malicious pinching, but I did on more than one year miss the memo and didn’t realize it was St. Patrick’s day.

As an adult this is still happening to me.   The commercials, internet ad sidebars and general conversation around me let me know St. Patrick’s day is coming up—“I think it might even be this week,” I’d think but I wouldn’t bother to look into it and ultimately I’d miss the day again.

This year was no exception.   I got the kids up and off to school.   I ran errands.   I got work done at the house.   I made phone calls.   I picked the children up, we ate dinner and then got them to bed.   As I sat down at my computer later to read emails I got one from a friend who ended the note with, “and Happy St. Patrick’s day to you.”    That’s when I realized I’d missed St. Patrick’s Day again.

The Big Boy Update:   Today for no particular reason my son said to me, “my true potential is exploding things.”

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:  My daughter’s hair grows exceptional slowly.   My husband put up a picture from our trip to the beach in August of last year.   Her hair hasn’t been cut since then and in seven months it’s grown probably only two inches.    I am still figuratively kicking myself for cutting bangs after her vision problem.   I have been waiting and waiting for the bangs to grow long enough to get them back into a pony tail.   I’ve been doing a small side pull for months the looks a little silly but keeps the hair out of her face.    Yesterday I was able to get her hair into pigtails and most of the now-long bangs stayed in.    Today she has pigtails again, which don’t interfere with her lying on her back.   They look great on her.  

No comments:

Post a Comment