Tuesday, March 1, 2016

Playing Wedding

My neighbor called me today while I was in the car with my husband and children to tell me a story.   I couldn’t stop laughing through the whole thing, even though it’s not strictly a funny story.    She said she wanted to call and let me know what had happened.

She’s come upstairs to find my son (five-years-old) and her daughter (four-years-old) completely naked, in their daughter’s bed, under the covers.   When asked what was going on they informed her they were, “playing wedding”.  

She explained to them that wasn’t perhaps the best game for them to be playing and it was time to get their clothes back ok and move along to other games and things they could play.    I was laughing while she’s telling me this because I’m trying to figure out which one of the children came up with this idea—and more to the point, where did they get the idea from in the first place?

I have seen it happen enough to know by now that children are little sponges and can pick up things from all sorts of times when you didn’t even know they were paying attention.   But even so, when did they get the idea that you have a wedding and then go get into bed together naked?

I even offered up to her with the “possible too much information” caveat that my husband and I didn’t sleep naked so that wasn’t an easy leap.    She and I didn’t come to any conclusions on where it came from in the end.    I was definitely able to use the, “kids grow up so fast these days” phrase today in a whole new light though.

The Big Boy Update:  My son has a game he likes to play on the iPad when he gets to have time with it on the weekends.   There’s this whole notion of “leveling up” that happens when you play the game and then are rewarded with more powerful items or new levels by virtue of the time you’ve invested in playing.   My son just likes to watch the thirty-second videos that highlight aspects of the game, and the products the Lego company has for sale that go with the product.   If there was a way to level up by watching in-game videos, my son would be maxed out.

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:   On the way home from dinner tonight my husband and I saw an ambulance coming our way.   We said to the children, “listen!”  My son immediately said he heard the ambulance.   My daughter rolled down her window, listened carefully for a few seconds and then said rather definitively, “aliens.”

Fitness Update:  My cousin and I ran close to four miles today.   Well, we did some interval walking in the middle, but there was one point we had to clamber over a large, fallen tree and another time I had to lie down in the greenway to get a measurement so there were additional “obstacles” we added into the run.

No comments:

Post a Comment