Tuesday, March 22, 2016

Looking Left

I’ve had neck problems since as far back as I can remember.  I favor certain positions and have issues with posture and alignment based on the original injury I sustained when I was a child to my spine.   I don’t realize sometimes that I do certain things to compensate until I do some inner reflection.

For instance, my left shoulder is about an inch-and-a-half higher than my right shoulder.   I put my purse on my left side because it holds on more easily than my right side.   I cross my legs one way by preference and I lean more easily to the left because it’s more comfortable on my back.

I also prefer to look left over right.   I remember being in junior high school and swinging on the hammock in our back yard.   I would look around the neighborhood for my friends to see if they were coming out on their bicycles to play.   To keep a lookout, I’d always look left and around.  

Tonight I brought my computer up to write this blog post.  My monitor is in the center of my desk and my chair is aligned at the middle of the screen.   It’s one of those wide screen monitors and I saw the browser window was positioned on the right side of the screen.   As I moved the window off to the left, I realized I like looking left even when I’m at the computer.  

Our bodies make unreversable changes as we grow older.    I suppose I’ll always prefer to look left.

The Big Boy Update:  While helping clean out our school’s adopted stream section this weekend my tired son mused, “I want to go home and rethink my life.”

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:  It only takes three days to make a bad habit.   When my daughter was sick recently we let her have a stool at the head of her bed with a water bottle on it.   She would drink water during the night and as a result there was a very wet diaper in the morning.    (She was in underpants until a while back when the eye issues caused a setback and we haven’t been pushing nighttime underwear as a result.)    Tonight I told her she couldn’t have the water bottle because she was well.    A fit ensued.    I was firm.   A tantrum almost happened.   I told her she wouldn’t have the water bottle, regardless of how unhappy she was about it.    I’m wondering how many days it’s going to take to break the water bottle habit.   I told her she wouldn’t be able to wear underpants to bed as long as she drank water at night.   I think that was the deciding factor.   She calmed down and went to sleep after thinking about that.

No comments:

Post a Comment