Friday, March 25, 2016

I’m Feeling Shy

Several of us, including my daughter’s teachers have noticed a particular, “shy” behavior she exhibits at times.   It seems to present itself when she realizes there is something she can’t tell/doesn’t know that she would be able to know if her vision wasn’t impaired.   She finds herself in a situation where she has to ask for help from someone who can see normally.   And asking for help is hard.

Especially when you’re an independent young lady who doesn’t want mommy or daddy to do anything to help in any way.   But my daughter does and will need help.    Today, we arrived at my in-law’s house.   After saying our hello’s the children went off to play with the toys.   My son found some Legos immediately and was busy.   My daughter found some stuffed animals.  

A short while later my daughter was upset—she was complaining to me that there weren’t any toys and all she could find were the stuffed animals.   I told her Nana had lots of toys for her and did she want to go ask Nana to help her find them?    I had explained there were toys she hadn’t seen.   It was at this point that the shyness comes in.   My daughter came very close to me and whispered, “I’m feeling a little shy, could you ask Nana where the other toys are?”   She realized she couldn’t see the toys in the room and this lack of ability and need for help translated into her feeling shy.

We walked into the kitchen, found Nana and I asked about the toys.   Nana came right over to my daughter and they got some puzzles for her to do and my daughter was back to being happy once again.

The Big Boy Update:  On the way to school today my son said, “when I grow up I’m going to do everything in the world.”

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:  My daughter said after hearing what her brother wanted to do in his life, “when I grow up I’m going to be the tooth fairy.”

No comments:

Post a Comment