Thursday, March 24, 2016

Luminaries

We had a donor recognition event at our school tonight.   My responsibility was luminaries around the Outdoor Learning Environment (the large play area) in the center courtyard of the school.   I’ve done luminaries recently with our neighborhood event so it was an easy thing to sign up for.

The thing that was going to be hard about the event was getting two hundred bags stuffed with sand.   Then, one of my friends and fellow trustees suggested I ask for the help of the after school children.   Her suggestion turned something that would have been hours of work into twenty minutes.

This afternoon I had eight eager helpers steadily filling bags and adding candles into them.   Then, they’d pack them onto a wagon and I’d tote them off to the courtyard.   They made fast work of the entire job—and they were excited about doing it.

Children are amazing things.

The Big Boy Update:  I was running late this morning and running about the house with some sort of frenetic haste, trying to get everything ready to leave.   My son asked me, “momma, why are you walking in your angry mode?”   My husband replied, “mom isn’t angry, she’s just in a hurry.”

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:   My daughter is a “Morning Monster” my husband has decided.  She’s been having trouble with mornings for a while.   My son had this phase too, but he’s mostly over it now.

No comments:

Post a Comment