Saturday, March 5, 2016

It Was Great…And Tiring

We ran the park marathon today.   It was very well run, the weather was about the best you could ask for on the fifth of March and the trail conditions couldn’t be better.   In short, it was the perfect day for a March marathon.

We did well, although we’re not the fastest runners.   I did my expected three falls during the single track miles, resulting in a small scrape on one knee and bruised balls of my thumbs from catching me as I fell.   Other than that, the race was without injury.

The hydration stations were well-stocked with all sorts of things to eat and drink.   I discovered I like Fritos during a race.   I would never have expected it, but they are so incredibly delicious when you’re dehydrated and in need of sustenance during a run.

We ran into my neighbors children at one point and the jogged along with us for close to a mile.   Then they decided they didn’t want to go any further and furthermore, they were too scared to run back to their father who was waiting with the youngest child.   So we ran backwards with them and added close to a mile to our race distance, making our total run well over twenty-seven miles.

Uncle Jonathan met us two miles before the end of the race—how sweet!   We were so happy to see him.   He had run a 10K that morning and then came out to run us in to the finish line.    It was great to see him and catch up.

We got in sight of the finish line and sprinted over it in a last-ditch effort to regain some time and compete against the each other—fun times.

I’m up for running the marathon in the park across the street again next year after today.

The Big Boy Update:  My son sang out the “Nationwide is on your side” jingle the other day.   We don’t typically play through commercials, but apparently he caught it enough that it stuck.    I still don’t know where he heard it though.

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:  My daughter knows her eye will be operated on on Monday.   She knows her surgeon will likely take the heavy substance out of her eye and her restrictions on position will be removed.   She asked me the other day, “but mom, can I keep my stand?”   She likes her iPad stand that lets her lie on her back and watch the iPad.   I told her she could still keep it.

Fitness Update:  27.8 miles today in the park for the marathon organized by the track club I joined that got me trained up enough to run my first 5K.   Great day.  Great race.

No comments:

Post a Comment