Tuesday, August 25, 2015

Your Children Are Here

Our children have a lot more freedom now that they’re older.   We live on a cul-de-sac street in a neighborhood with relatively low traffic, my children like to play in the back yard and they generally don’t wander off farther than the neighbor’s house to knock on the door and see if their children are home.

Typically, this involves going to the “backyard neighbor’s” house and knocking on the door, but this morning they decided to go ring the front doorbell of our neighbors on the other side.   Their two children are younger than my two, but they love to play together with us regularly having play dates and sibling swaps.  

My husband had just realized we didn’t see or hear them in the back yard and was about to get dressed to go find them when I got a text from my neighbor saying, “your children are over here.”   I messaged her back saying to please send them home if it was a bad time or would she like me to come get them?”   She replied, “they’re all playing nicely and I’m able to get some things done while they’re all occupied.”  

This evening after dinner we all met out back with five of the six children playing on the playground and talked about how it gets easier and easier as the children get more independence and demonstrate they’re capable of handling more responsibility.

The Big Boy Update:  My son didn’t want to have his hair washed in the bath tonight so I told him he could do it instead.   My daughter has wanted to wash her own hair for a while now, but my son is a wholly different person.   He did a fairly good job.

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:  My daughter grabbed her nose yesterday and cried out, “mommy, something smells bisgusting!”  I looked a little embarrassed and confessed, “oh, that was mommy, sorry about that.”

Fitness Update:  Eight morning miles in some muggy weather.   I lost extra water weight from the humidity and temperature I think.

No comments:

Post a Comment