Sunday, August 9, 2015

Walk in Seventy-Eight Seconds

We’ve been biking the children to school and for fun from time to time for a while now.   While on our excursions we commonly run into an intersection where we need to cross traffic on a busy road.   We’ve taught the children how to push the walk button and that we don’t cross with the yellow hand. When the white walking man appears, they know it’s time to cross.  

We’ve done some walking on trips as well.   On this trip, we’ve walked to the beach and the playground and had to cross multiple streets with stop lights.    They know how to find the button and they’re getting good at watching the numbers count down to know how much time we have left to cross.

On the way to visit our family a few days ago, we were using Waze for traffic updates.   I could write another post on Waze, but for now, let’s just say we had poor traffic conditions for a good distance around Washington, D.C.  We decided to follow Waze’s advice and go through town.    As we followed the route, we discovered we were driving right by the capitol, which my children were underwhelmed to see.

We made an early turn shortly after that and ended up on a smaller street, parallel to the main street.   We turned back and found ourselves waiting at a long light.   We’d been sitting there for a while when my husband looked up and said, “I think we’re going to be waiting for a while.”   I asked him why and he said, “because the crosswalk is counting down and it’s still at seventy-eight.”

The most I’ve ever seen on a cross walk is twenty seconds.   I guess we live in a smaller town than Washington, D.C.

The Big Boy Tiny Girl Water Bottle Update:  My children love their water bottles.   They use them at school and we keep them in our refrigerator at home so they can get to them when they’re thirsty.  On vacation here, we moved some condiments from the bottom shelf in their refrigerator so the children could reach their water bottles.   They go to them frequently.   They like water.   I am glad they like water.   I wish I liked water more and flavored beverages less.

Fitness Update:  I did a lot of walking today and I tried to work out how to do some exercises on the Bow Flex which was a marginal success.   Then, I did an hour on the Nordictrac.   It’s an elliptical, but it’s geared differently or something because it feels different than other ellipticals.   It’s a tougher workout, but fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment