Sunday, August 30, 2015

They Never Break

Something happened tonight that caused me to do a double-take.  I wasn’t sure I was seeing things correctly so I went over to the light to check and sure enough, it had happened: I had a broken Lego block.

This wasn’t a Lego block that had been taken to task by a bottle rocket launched at close range from a little boy.   It wasn’t rolled over by the tracks on an excavator.   It wasn’t melted on an oven to see what the melt point was against a burner and it wasn’t mistreated in any way other than put together to make a “water car” by the children.

It just broke.   A whole segment had fallen off when I disconnected one half from the other half.    These weren’t new Legos, but they weren’t forty-years-old either.   My bricks were well-treated, organized by color, even and should have been steadfast in their solid blockiness for decades more.

But it happened.   I’ve kept the brick because for proof.   Maybe next week something equally rare will happen and I’ll get an extra twenty-dollar-bill at the ATM.

The Big Boy Tiny Girl Breakfast Making Experience:  My son and daughter decided to make me breakfast yesterday.   They got out their toy blender, mixer and coffee maker.   They filled up one of the containers with water and then moved the water from appliance to appliance, adding some squirt flavoring I gave them as they did so.   When they were done they said they had made me coffee.   I got out a coffee mug and when they poured it in, it looked just like coffee from all the colors mixing. Next, they got me some wooden toast and put it on a plate.   And finally my son made me a pretend cookie “for dessert.”   My daughter got me a napkin and they set up my meal at the table.    I sat down to eat and my son said, “I want to take a picture mom.   I know how to take a picture with the iPad.”   And he did know how (although there was an issue with his finger in the way at first.)  I told them both thank you for such a delicious looking breakfast.

No comments:

Post a Comment