Saturday, August 22, 2015

Triathlon?

I’ve been talking to several people about doing a triathlon recently.   My neighbor’s husband has done a half Ironman in years past and has told about how challenging it is time-wise as well as on the body.   He, along with some other people in our neighborhood, are considering an Olympic format race instead.

The distances specific to the Olympic format, also known as "international distance", "standard course", or "short course" are:
  •  1.5 km swim (.93 miles) 
  •  40 km bike (25 miles)
  •  10 km run (6.2 miles)
I can do the run distance easily as it’s less than my average morning run.   I’ve biked forty miles recently and today I tested out the swimming distance, swimming the 1.5 km in our pool without stopping.     Doing one event alone isn’t a good indicator of preparedness for a combined event though.   

I talked to my neighbor that I run with yesterday about it as well and she is interested too.   She hasn’t had much experience riding a bicycle so tomorrow morning we’re going to spend an hour in our neighborhood riding around and getting a feel for riding, shifting and overall getting comfortable on her bike.    

I think I want to do another triathlon (I’ve done one before with my niece that was a mini version.)   Hopefully we’ll get a group together that’s interested.   My husband’s even considering it I think.

The Big Boy Update:  My son keeps asking where his halloween costume is.   His was backordered and so the bag only came with his sister’s costume.    Explaining high demand and back ordering has been challenging.   He keeps wanting to know why his didn’t arrive. 

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:  I was reading a book to my daughter.   There was a page with the main character’s “Gramps” when they went to the lake to fish.   My daughter said, “hey, we have a Gramps at Mimi’s house.” 

Fitness Update:  I ran eleven miles this morning and swam 1.5 km early evening.   I think that may be the longest distance I’ve ever swam at one time.

No comments:

Post a Comment