Saturday, August 1, 2015

Two Degrees

We keep our house at what is a comfortable temperature to us.   We’ve adjusted what temperature works for us over time.   We’ve tried to have the house a little warmer in the summer and cooler in the winter than we did from last year.   Or at least I think we’re doing this.   My husband says, “that’s what we did last year,” and I say something like, “no, no, we kept it cooler, I swear we did.”   There’s no knowing now, but for this summer season at least, we’re at a higher temperature than we were at some point.

We have thermostats that can change what temperature you prefer at different times of the day.  One thing we both agreed on was keeping the house a little cooler at night.   In the winter, this is easy because you just heat less.   In the summer, you’re cooling still, but it’s also cooling off outside.   It’s all energy consumption, but were thinking of balancing our comfort with our energy usage where we can.

For a while I was waking up hot in the middle of the night.   This was strange because I hadn’t been doing so before.   I got up, groggy, to look at the thermostat to see it was holding at the daytime temperature instead of the nighttime one.   It was only two degrees different, but that two degrees was the difference in sleeping soundly all night versus waking up hot and uncomfortable.

It took me about a week to get around to reprogramming the thermostat because I was half-asleep when I would tap down the temperature by two degrees in the middle of the night.   In the morning I would have forgotten.

The Big Boy Update:  My son has fallen in love apparently.   He came home on Friday and asked me, “can I write a letter to Ada Sillings that says, ‘I love you’?”

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:  My daughter has this uncanny ability to make the seat of any pair of pants brown.   This is not because she is soiling them internally, on the contrary, she’s quite good at making it to the bathroom before accidents of that nature occur.   She just loves to sit in the dirt or mulch or grass or sand and play with what she finds on the ground.   I think she drags across the ground as well.    It’s a good thing she grows so quickly or I’d have to move to all black pants and skirts to hide the dirt.

Fitness Update:  We ran eighteen miles this morning.   We’re running in a marathon in November and wanted to do a test of our level of readiness.   We had run fourteen recently and ran eight to ten miles regularly.   We planned on eighteen and decided we could have gone to twenty without a problem.   If pushed, we could have done the marathon.    I think I’m not overly concerned about training up to the distance now.   We’ll just stretch out some longer runs as we get closer to the race.

No comments:

Post a Comment