Tuesday, August 11, 2015

Thanksgiving in August

We had thanksgiving dinner tonight.  My brother- and sister-in-law made us dinner in the classic thanksgiving style.    They had a turkey from months ago they’d been meaning to cook.    They started cooking early and we all say down to eat that evening.

They made their favorite stuffing recipe, mashed potatoes, gravy, rolls, and corn.   We were served Uncle Eric’s homemade beer to accompany the meal.    (My children had cranberry juice.)

While they cooked during the day I removed the meat from about thirty blue claw crab we’d cooked live the night before.   It took me several hours, but we have a lot of meat.   Tomorrow or later this week we’re going to make crab cakes and crab dip.

Both the cooking and the eating of the meal was a delightful experience, although I have several cuts on my hands from the crabs, but it was worth it.

The Big Boy Update:  My uncle was putting a poultice on his lower back and when my son smelled it he decided to call him, “Minty Fresh Eric.”  Later, for no apparent reason at all, my nephew came home from football and my son said, “hi, Stinky Kyle!”  

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:  While we were at the park yesterday I told my daughter it was time to go to the bathroom.   She didn’t want to go and said, “I’m too tired to walk.”   Three seconds later she said, “let’s run!”

Fitness Update:  My husband and I walked three-and-a-half miles after dinner.   After the dinner we had tonight, we really needed to walk twelve miles.  We saw not one, but three rainbows at the same time over the ocean with a sunset in the other direction.

No comments:

Post a Comment