Wednesday, August 12, 2015

Boat and Beach Day

Big Boy Tiny Girl Day at the Beach Update:
We’re visiting my brother- and sister-in-law’s house this week.   We’ve been in the hot tub, taken children to the beach in the wagon, gone out on a jet ski ride and jumped into the lagoon.   We’ve gone to multiple ice cream and treat locations, had friends and relatives over for dinner and spent a lot of time together, having fun with our family.

Usually, one day when we’re visiting each year we get into their boat and go to the inlet, which is what we did today.    My brother- and sister-in-law’s house is on the bay side of the island they live on.   They live on a lagoon channel and the back of their house sports a dock on which they park their boat, jet skis, paddle boards and other beach gear.  

Its possible to get to the beach by getting in the boat and/or just skis, navigating out of the lagoons and into the channel.   From there you can follow the channel to one of the ends of the island where there is an inlet where the sound meets the ocean.    Today, that’s just what we did.

My son wanted to ride on the jet ski with daddy and my daughter wanted to ride in the boat with me.  We left late afternoon with my son and husband bringing up the rear.   My daughter was interested in the boat ride and watching her cousin Kyle in front of us on the other jet ski.  I told her we were going to go fast when we got out of the no wake zone and to watch for Kyle, because when he went fast, we’d go next.

When we started to accelerate she got very excited.   She threw her hands in the air and started to chatter.  I couldn’t understand what she was saying, but it went on and on and she was excited.    After that, my husband and son passed us.   She waved excitedly at them and they waved back.  

We got to the inlet and parked the boat and jet skis on the shore about fifteen minutes later.   Both of my children were happy to get into the sand.   I was not happy at all to see them immediately start making sand angles in their life jackets, but since it was making them happy, I didn’t complain.

We decided to go off, “on an adventure” and walk towards the surf.    We ended up split up where I was with my son.   He and I spent about an hour moving slowing around the beach.   I would show my son crab and horseshoe crab carapaces, clam shells, strange sticks, holes in the sand, etc., and he would come and look.    He would then go off and do his own thing, mostly with sticks, mostly talking about saving (or was it blowing up?) the world.

When we got back it was time to get back on the boat and jet skis and head to our dinner location, which we drove up to on the sound and at tables just off the sand.   My children’t weren’t into dinner as much as they were getting back to the sand.

After dinner we headed home.   I got the children washed off and put into pajamas because it was almost bed time.   I think they’ll sleep soundly tonight.

Fitness Update:  I walked very slowly on the beach for two miles and then ran around a pool table (literally) for twenty minutes tonight.   I ate two Mrs. Brizzle’s Buns, which means I was in sugar shock most of the day to do any more exercise.

No comments:

Post a Comment