Thursday, August 6, 2015

The Broken Stall Door

When I go shopping for clothes I typically go to one store first.   It’s a department store in the shopping mall close to us.   I go there because the selection is significant and I can usually find what I need (and like) without having to go anywhere else, even leaving the store to venture out into the mall proper.

I went not long ago, perhaps two to three weeks, and got a few items.   At that time I went into the dressing room area to find three stalls.   The largest stall had the door hanging ajar so I went in and turned to shut the door to find the door handle almost completely falling off.   It was holding on, but only because the two screws attaching the inner and outer halves were so long.  

These screws were out so far, you could grab them with your index finger and thumb easily.   I took the door handle halves, pushed them against the door and did just that for both the top and bottom screws.   I couldn’t get it completely tight because I didn’t have a screwdriver on me, but using my fingers alone I could get the handle back into a wobbly but functional piece of hardware.

I either bought or didn’t buy a shirt (I don’t remember) and then went to meet my husband for lunch.   That was a while back.   Today I decided to try one more time at that same department store to see if they’d gotten in any shorts that could hold my iPhone 6 without having it fall out when I sat down that was in a position that also wasn’t uncomfortable when sitting.    I went to the store, found two candidate shorts and went back to the dressing room area.

I walked in to see the same stall door still in it’s hobbled state.   In the time since I’d last been there no one had bothered to call about the door issue and as people used it, the loose screws came out along the threads a little more each time.   I tried on the shorts after re-screwing in the handle screws and then left.

Some things are complicated to fix, might require parts or need a level of expertise beyond general knowledge.   I just don’t understand why something as simple as using a screw driver to tighten screws continues to go reported and unfixed.  

Maybe it’s just me but I like things to work they way they’re supposed to work.   In fact, when things don’t work the way they should, it bothers me enough to spurn me into action, even if that broken thing might not be mine.   Maybe the next time I go shopping I’ll bring a screw driver with me.

The Big Boy Update:  My son wanted to hear a song on the way to school this morning.   He was having a hard time explaining, but I understood it was something that played on dad’s cell phone.   Finally I realized he wanted to hear the song that played for my husband’s alarm music.   Fortunately, it was an actual song and not just a sound byte and double fortunately, I happened to have the song on my phone as well.    We played the song loudly in the car on the way to camp and my son is trying to decide if it’s his new favorite song.

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:  Flip flops with back straps.  My daughter wants to wear flip flops, but she needs to get some skills in wearing them first.   The flip flops for children her age have an additional strap that goes around your heel.   I told her if she could walk well with the shoes in that fashion, I’d cut the straps off.  I also told her her friend, Gigi, already knew how to walk without the straps.   I wonder if that will be any sort of motivation to her?   For now, the shoes are kicked off and on the floor.

Fitness Update:  I took an Aleve this morning several hours before I ran and then rolled out my shin aggressively just before running.   It was sore, but the rolling out helped.   I think the NSAID helped too, although it was still painful from the start of mile two until the end of mile three.   It was that exact window before that I dealt with when I had shin splints over a year ago.   Hopefully taking this coming week off from running will help.    Oh, and I ran seven miles this morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment