Thursday, October 9, 2014

Yoga, Round Two

I took a yoga class about a year ago with my next-door neighbor.   It was my first yoga class ever and for almost a year it was my only yoga class.

I have a thing going on in my right elbow.   I think it happened when I was in my early days of running and fell on it.   I think I snapped or messed up something.   It does this weird thunk thing if I do just the right (or wrong) motions.   It doesn't fare well if I have to lift straight up something heavier than twenty-five pounds and it seems weaker than the other elbow.  

I had an MRI on it and the evaluation was that nothing looked wrong.   But I notice something and it doesn't seem stable and after that one hour of yoga, it was a complete mess for about a month.   The thing that surprised me was that I was doing things I did normally at the gym, but I was doing them to a more extreme level and for longer.   I mean hell, some days at the gym I'm sure I do over a hundred pushups with no problems, but holding myself in the pushup position and lifting a leg up and staying there through three yoga positions and I'm in elbow-trouble.

The person teaching the yoga class today is a neighbor who's offering yoga in our clubhouse.   I missed the first week so I go there early today and talked to her about alternate positions I could get into if I thought the elbow was going to be strained.   She said it sounded like the other class I'd gone to was a different type of yoga (she said some yoga-knowledgeable things at this point, but I don't remember the details.)

As of this evening, my elbow seems totally fine.  It was a tough class, but it was interesting and fun.   My neighbor is both a great teacher as well as a fun neighbor.  I hope I'll be able to make more of the classes.

The Big Boy Update:  Daddy told me my son had decided what he wanted for his birthday on the ride to school this morning.   He told me what it was and I started to laugh, because I thought he was joking.   Then he asked my son (who was in the back seat) to tell me what he wanted and I'll be darned if he didn't know—in detail—the exact thing he had in mind.    He said he wanted a, "Lego transformer rescue helicopter with a hook that goes on the bottom that's an orange hook that's very long to hook the shark."   He then followed up with, "and then the people say, 'hip hip hooray.'"   We're not sure this item truly exists, but we're going to get him the closest thing we can find for his birthday.

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:  My daughter's ideas on birthday presents are much more simple as well as non-specific.   We asked her several times and each time she told us the same thing, "I want a panda bear."  

Fitness Update:  Yoga and then a surprise, quick three mile run this afternoon.  Yoga was fun and I don't think I hurt my elbow, which is a great relief.

No comments:

Post a Comment