Thursday, October 2, 2014

Closet Climbing

My husband and I were busily working at our computers this afternoon, trying to get in a little work while the children ran around in the basement playing unsupervised.   Usually when this happens, we have to take it in turn to get up, find out what they're doing and redirect them to something safer or a more preferable activity.

They got into the lower cabinet and dumped all the pillows and blankets, climbed in and played some sort of hiding and rescuing game for a bit.   Next, we heard them in the bathroom, playing in the walk-in shower with the fun rock pebble floor.

After that I could tell they were in the basement bedroom doing something that was making noise.  From the sound, I thought they were in the closet with the metal coat hangers.   When I went to investigate, they had taken the hangers all down and were in the process of climbing up the cubbies to get to the very top shelf in the closet.

I was, truthfully, proud of them.   Dangerous?  Sure, it could be, but the floor is carpeted they've been climbing the various shelves and ledges in our master closet for a while, they just couldn't get to a higher level because there were things on those shelves.   The closet in the basement is empty.

They didn't make it to the very top, but when they do, I'm not worried.   Our trim carpenter put in some very sturdy materials in our house.  If I could fit up there, I'd feel confident it would hold even my weight.

The Big Boy Update:  My daughter was kicking the back of the chair on the way to school this morning.   It was making a rhythmic "thump thump thump".  My son looked over to me said, "Is that deadmau5 music Reese is making?"  As I listened to her kicking, I had to agree with him, it did sound a lot like a low bass beat.  

The Tiny Girl Chronicles: My daughter sings this "da da da" type of song a lot.   It's mostly syllables of sound that repeat across a measure or two.   Her brother started to sing along with her the other day but she interrupted him and said, "No, that's mine and Jacob's song!"  

No comments:

Post a Comment