Wednesday, October 1, 2014

Dutch Oven

Have you ever had to pick a password for something and had a hard time coming up with an easily memorable choice?   With the prevalence of passwords these days, it's continually challenging to come up with something new, different, secure and yet memorable.   But it hasn't always been so.

Many years ago I was playing a video game regularly with some friends.  My best work friend and I were avid players when we were done working for the day and on weekends.   This particular game (Diablo) worked by having one person create a game and the other person or people joining the game you created.    You could password protect the game so that random people didn't just jump in.   We decided to use "dutchoven" for our password anytime either one of us created a game.

It worked well.  It was the password we always used.  It was easily memorable and it made me think of people wearing wooden clogs milling doing things with some large oven structure.   I didn't know what a dutch oven was, but I had all sorts of images of something big and impressive.

Then one day, years later after I was done playing that game, I discovered I'd had a dutch oven sitting in my cabinet in the kitchen all that time.   It's just a large pot.   Talk about ruining my mental image.
I still use "dutchoven" today for various non-critical passwordy things and it never fails to remind me of those video game days years ago.

The Big Boy Update:  My son came home today with an Incident Report.   Another child was waving a stick around on the playground (which is not allowed) and hit my son in the lip.   The incident report is required for any injury to the head.   When my husband and I read it it made it laugh because it said, "Treatment: ice pack (reluctantly received)".    I can picture him far more interested in getting back to the playground than holding an ice pack to his lip.

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:   My daughter was seen by a plastic surgeon today to confirm we're doing the proper things for her chin to recover with minimal scaring.   The surgeon was a delight and she liked him a lot.   She may well like him less when he removes her stitches on Friday morning.   He said she's doing very well and gave us some pointers on what to do to facilitate her healing.

Fitness Update:   We went in to the gym early this morning because my neighbor had an early meeting.   My alarm went off at 4:45.   Uncle Jonathan made it to my house at 4:55 from the next town over to go to the gym.   He is harder core than I am, no question about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment