Friday, October 3, 2014

Did I Remember to Bring my Phone?

There are some things in our lives we would be crippled without.   For example, without our vehicles, how would we get to all the things we normally do that are further away than walking distance?   Without certain things, our lives would have to go through a significant adjustment to a new way of doing things.

The smart phone is one of those things in my life and this morning I had another reminder of that.   I got in the car to take my son to school.  On the way there I went through the Starbucks drive through to get some coffee.   I do this regularly enough that my children know exactly where we are when I pull in—even though they've never had coffee themselves.

As I got in the drive-thru line I suddenly thought, "did I forget my phone?"   This might be an unusual question at that point, but I pay for my Starbucks coffee via an app on my phone.   As I looked into my purse for the phone I realized I had already interacted with the phone multiple times since I'd gotten in the car but since it was such an assumed constant companion, I hadn't noticed.

When we got in the car and backed out of the driveway I had heard the phone bing the sound that indicated the house alarm system had been successfully armed.   When we got to the first stop light my son asked for a song he likes right now and I selected the bluetooth audio option in the car to play music from my phone.

Next, my son said something funny or maybe I had a thought or memory and I wanted to take a note about it so I'd remember to write about it when I sat down tonight to do this blog entry.   I pulled out my phone and added an entry to my blog topics list (at a stoplight of course—there are a lot on our ride to school.)

While I had the phone up, I checked my email to see if the solicitation I might be doing later was confirmed.    Then I turned into Starbucks, music blaring out of the stereo, playing from my phone via bluetooth.  Then I wondered if I had brought my phone with me.

The Big Boy Update:  My husband took my daughter to get her stitches removed this morning and I took my son to school.   We, for the first time, needed to put a car seat in the Tesla.   My son was excited about going for a ride in, "the awesome car" he told me.   As we drove out of the neighborhood he agreed, it was a very quiet ride.   Then he said, "I usually throw up in this car."

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:  My daughter had her stitches out this morning.   They used a topical numbing on her chin and she didn't budge for the ninety seconds it took to get the stitches clipped and out.  We were proud of her bravery.   She's been enjoying drawing scribbles on pieces of paper lately   She draws something, hands it to you and tells you it's an <insert word she made up>.  On our car ride today she made me the following drawings: Neeker-chopper-bai, Cheops, Chicka chooka tickka tooka, Thithoo and Chingatoo.

No comments:

Post a Comment