Wednesday, October 8, 2014

Cinnamon Dental Floss

When I was a child you could't have candy, food or gum with you at school.  I'm guessing the rules are largely the same now, but as I haven't been in school for quite a long number of years, I don't really know.   Maybe when my children are older they'll let me know what terribly unfair rules about food they have at their school and I'll try and be sympathetic, remembering my youth.

Gum was an outright no and if you were found with it, there were varying punishments the teachers would choose to employ.   I liked gum well enough, but I didn't break that rule from what I can remember.   It was candy that was my thing.   I loved candy.  I don't think I ever got enough candy and because candy made me "hyperactive" as they called it then, I rarely got any.    When other children had candy it was usually a precious commodity and they mostly didn't want to share it with me.

Then one day my good friend down the road pulled out some dental floss during lunch.   I got a whiff of cinnamon and asked who had gum?  He said it was his cinnamon dental floss and did I want some?   I did.  I definitely wanted some.   I remember having that piece of dental floss in my mouth for I think the next two periods, nursing the last bit of flavor out of it.   I vowed to beg my parents mercilessly until they got me some.

I don't remember when or how I got some, but eventually I did.  It was the best thing in school.   You had the cinnamon flavor, but you couldn't get in trouble for taking care of your teeth.   I think I wanted to be caught, but I never was.    

I'm fairly certain I used up the roll of floss too quickly and my parents caught on and didn't buy me any more after that.

The Big Boy Update:  We were talking about Mimi and Gramps on the way to school and I told them they were in the mountains but that they would come to see us soon.   My son cried out from the back seat, "they're not in the mountains, they're in the forest!"

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:  I was typing my blog post yesterday when my daughter climbed up onto the desk and exclaimed to me, "there's an O!"   I looked at where she was pointing (at the bottom of the screen) and realized she was pointing to the Microsoft Outlook icon, which is a large 'O'.   I didn't even know she knew that letter.  Go school!

Fitness Update:  We went to the gym today but I was distracted.   There was a lunar eclipse during the time we were there.   The moon was mostly covered by the earth when we arrived and I ran out after one of the sets to see a thin crescent, just before the full eclipse.   I wasn't able to see the full eclipse due to the trees when it happened though.   It was still occurring when we were on the way home, even though we were in civil twilight and a much-lightened sky from the east.   I tried from several spots but I didn't get to see the red moon before it set.

No comments:

Post a Comment