Saturday, October 11, 2014

The Roller Skating Rink

We had a birthday party to go to this morning.  It was for the son of one of my good friends at the school.   Her son and my son are in the same class this year and my son talks about George a lot.    The party was in a skate rink.

My husband got them dressed in shorts and t-shirts for the warm day and exercise they'd likely get skating and on the way to the location—we'd never been before—he casually says to me, "this is a roller skating place, right?"   Oh no, is it?   I panicked, thinking we'd be dressed for trouble if this was an ice-skating rink.   But no, it was roller skating.

We all tried to skate and most of the family (aside from my husband) did a lot of not-skating.  We shuffled, fell, looked silly and then decided to take the skates off.    There was a bounce house and some game machines that handed out tickets that kept my children busy for a good while.   How they got tickets out of the machines with no coins is still a question; but they had fun.

I did do a bit of skating.  I was quite good in the days of my youth, but apparently roller skating is not a skill you retain.   My husband, not surprisingly, was a wonder out on the rink.   Several of us were chatting when he whizzed by one time and we all cheered and clapped at him.

We didn't do the roller skating version of the Hokey Pokey.   Gosh, I remember that.   Those were the days...

The Big Boy Update:  We had an all-school event today at a park.   Rain was predicted part-way through the event, but as it was going to be sunny and warm at the start, we took the chance.  The first  hour was glorious and then the thunderstorm clouds came in quickly.   When it started to pour, most children and adults gathered under the large shelter where the food was.   A few children, my son included, had a blast playing on the playground and splashing in the quickly-forming puddles.    He was excited when he finally came up to the shelter and saw me, exclaiming, "I'm wet!"

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:  My daughter was fine with her head wound yesterday, but today she does not want you or anything else to get near it.  She went to a birthday party and an all-school event with dirty, un-brushed hair.    Tonight we gave her a bath (we were advised not to yesterday) and she is looking much cleaner and less like a ragamuffin now.

Fitness Update:  Seven miles today.  My SI joint was out of alignment, or not moving well or whatever technical term my chiropractor would use to describe the situation where I can't get up or down from a chair/bed without being in a lot of pain.   I decided to run to see if it would help work it out.   The first two miles my right SI joint and inside of my left knee hurt.  The knee was dealing with undue pressure from compensating for the SI joint's lack of full motion.    At about two miles it let up and the rest of the run was fairly normal.  It's a bit sore now, but I can get up and down from chairs without bracing myself again, so overall I call that a win.

No comments:

Post a Comment