Friday, November 29, 2013

I Learned Two Things Today

It's not a good day if you don't learn something.  Most days we learn things, usually trivial or inconsequential, but learning goes on, weather we notice it or not.  That's life.  The two things I learned today were musical in nature. 

There was a brief audio clip I heard in the course of the days events, either on television or radio or somewhere that reminded me of something and it stuck with me.  It was a snippet of the song, Jump in The Line (a song title I had to figure out by playing the song forward in my mind until I got to the chorus part) that reminded me of the movie Beetle Juice.

Tonight, I decided to buy the song in iTunes.  I found it easily and downloaded it to my phone.  Then I began dancing around the house, holding the phone and making everyone else around wonder if I'd drank too much or perhaps just lost it for good.  I was not concerned, I was happy dancing and if they didn't think I was crazy already, a little more emphasis wouldn't hurt.

So  about those two things I learned,  first, I discovered the song was  by Harry Belafonte.  I'd heard the name for as long as I can remember and associated him with music from my parent's age.  Then, after downloading the song, I learned my second thing of the day: Harry Belafonte was black.  

I had no association at all with his music or his ethnicity, only the era his music was from.  Now that I know a wee bit more about him, I like him.  Is it possible as we get older we branch out both forwards and backwards in music appreciation?

The Big Boy Update:  Yesterday and it's friends.  My son thinks anything that happened in the past was, "yesterday".  It took us a while to realize this.  He's not telling a fib, he truly thinks things that happened recently were all, "yesterday".

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:   The facial funk.  It's still there.  And I'm not thrilled about putting yeast infection medication on her face, but it appears it's going to take a few more days to get it eradicated. 

And on the Funny Side:  My cousin wrote me a check last night for something I'd gotten for her on Amazon.com and today as I put it in my wallet to deposit I misread the quotation as the check was upside down.  I thought it was great though:  " To God be the glory.  Great savings he hath done."  What a great quote, I thought, that God was supporting us in our bank account savings.  It was then that I realized I'd misread what it really said:  "Great things he hath done." 

No comments:

Post a Comment