Saturday, July 27, 2019

Vacation Over

Testing,  testing, one two three….  Okay, I think a baby wipe and the edge of my cuticle clippers fixed the space bar issue I was having last night.   Something must have gotten under the edge of the spacebar, causing me to have to put extra force every time I used it.   But it seems better now—a relief since that means it’s not something broken.

My family is in the car, heading home from New Jersey.   We got up at six o’clock and were on the road by quarter to seven.   We’re taking the slightly longer, but much less traffic-prone route that starts with the ferry about a half hour south from where our family lives.

Taking the ferry one Saturdays in the summer means making an early reservation to get a good time slot.  Even planning close to a week ahead, we either had to take the 7:30AM or the 5:30PM ferry.   With a long day of travel ahead of us, we opted for the early slot.

The dog is in the front passenger seat, my children are in the middle row and I’m in the third row with luggage all around me.   I can get a lot done back here and don’t mind the lack of space.  The  dog likes to move from the seat to the floor and is familiar with riding there so it seemed like the better option.   She’s also closer to air conditioning vents and since she’s always hot, that’s a good thing.

It’s been a long vacation, taking almost two weeks surrounding our sailing trip, followed by a week on the New Jersey shore with over thirty of relatives on my husband’s side of the family.    But it’s over.   And I’m glad.

I love vacation, but I always love coming home.   My daughter starts second grade in two days and we haven’t gotten her school supplies yet.   I’m ready to get back into our less exciting but more predictable home life.   We already have texts from neighbors, asking when the children will be home because their children want to play.

The Big Bot Update:  My son wanted to do something with his father the other morning and wasn’t wanting to wait.   He said in an exasperated tone, “I’m waiting for dad to be done.  He’s reading the newspaper like an old person.”

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:  My daughter is going to miss Sydney very much.   Here they are together earlier this week.



No comments:

Post a Comment