Wednesday, July 31, 2019

A Year In Words

I have three large volumes of writing m bound notebooks from my daughter’s first grade year.  These are writings in addition to the weekly free writing sessions that come home weekly.   I knew she wrote a lot, but I had no idea it was so much.   I’m not sure when she had the time to do all the writing, but somehow she got three inches of brailled stories and memories written up in addition to all the other work she has.

If you think about it, typing is actually faster than writing.  If I had to handwrite this blog post it would probably be about a tenth as long every day.   Typing is easier in a way and my daughter loves to write.   As I read through the notebooks I pulled out a few items to share here.   Much of the writing was creative story telling.   She wrote about animals making friends with other animals and their adventures a lot.   She also wrote about what’s happened in her life like her own journal or diary.   Some of the stories were very creative, and some of the memories show what it’s like to be blind.

Here are some snippets of her writing, listed by date.   I’ve preserved her phonetic spelling and punctuation (or lack thereof) which improved as the year progressed.

August 1, 2018: I cheride to find my way home but I got lust finding my way home but I got lost then I yeld for help but know one came so I wated I was hungry then I herd you col so I herd so I lisend for yar to go but then I fawnd my way back to you then I started this conforsashin then I started to sing this song downt you want to come in side yes I do I do not like swet. Do you like swet on your forhead? Yes I do beccus it ceeps me coll.

October 23, 2018: On the day I tryed my costoom. I am dresing up like a water melinsine (watermelon). I am skard to trikortreet. With my water melinslise. I do not want to go tricknrtreeting but I want candy.

March 5, 2019: Once upon atime there was a squearl who had a acorn he loved very much. One day he went for a walk with his acorn and droped it on the graound. But he did not see it yet. Then he dug a hool as he put a acorn in and baryd it nexst to his home and went in to his den. He slept there for manny years. When he wouk up he saw a tree that he had made and he did. Then an acorn feal and boded him on the head soon he was nearly baryed in them. Then he under stoot the tree he had made was made out of his baluved acorn cry with happynis he ran up the tree that had druped them and lived there happily and peesfoll intil the end of his days.

April 26, 2019 (Easter Sunday about how she and her brother hid Easter eggs for each other to find): I hid eggs for Greyson that my mom brot. I hid them upstars. I hid the golden egg in a drore and a lot on a bench with stuffed animals on it. I put some in baskits that had stuffed animals in them. I hid some uthers too. Then Greyson found them very, very fast. He hid some for me and I found them slowly.

The Big Boy Update:  When my son was talking about being half-way to high school he also said to me, “are you gonna send me to college?”   I told him, “I hope so.”  He said, “good, I wanna go to college.”

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:  I’ve been emailing my daughter’s teachers about her upcoming surgery.  We’re building a list of questions for the doctor such as what her activity restrictions will be when she returns to school, when she should return to school and if she will have medication that needs to be administered while at school.   My daughter is growing more anxious about the upcoming surgery.   This manifests as her being obstinate and cranky, sometimes even crying.   She broke down while doing math today—and she loves math.

No comments:

Post a Comment