Monday, July 29, 2019

Punching My Monitor

Prepare for random stream of topics; I’m on a tight timeframe tonight and my brain is swimming with lots of items.  

My son was playing a virtual reality game today using my husband’s VR headset in the basement.   It’s truly immersive, so much so that your brain thinks you’re really in the environment—even if it’s a fantastical one.   Apparently my son wasn’t paying attention to where the edge of the “world” was in the fighting game he was playing and got off to the side of the room where my computer and monitor were—and he punched my monitor.   My monitor that I’m looking at now and love.   It’s so big and realestatey (that’s not a word, I know, but I like it so I’m going with it.).   The monitor was fine.  

My husband and I are back after weeks out of town and on vacation.   We had our first weigh-in today (something we’ve always done on Monday’s and tracked for years).   We gained weight, but not too much considering there were Mrs. Brizzles Buns, “the best buns on the beach” to list only one of the delicious, high-calorie, high sugar content items we were forced, forced I say, to eat while on vacation.

My daughter has an upcoming pediatric urologist appointment to have an ultrasound on her bladder and to talk about next steps for addressing the recurring bladder infections she’s been having for the last year.   We’ve had her on antibiotics for over two weeks now.  We were fortunate in that I continued to have her antibiotic filled when she stopped taking it a while back and also that I brought it along on the trip.   Otherwise we would have been in big trouble at sea.   We’ll know more on the bladder status soon, hopefully.

My daughter also has surgery next week to put in a glaucoma drainage device in her left eye.   It may be coming none too soon as she’s telling us she’s seeing bright spots in her eye.   I can’t tell if this is a game she’s playing or if it’s really something going on where she’s seeing things more clearly from a light perspective, or if it’s retinal issues.   I think it’s nothing, but I don’t like not knowing.   We’ll find out a lot more after surgery next week.  Lots more information on that coming soon.

My daughter started second grade today.   There is a scheduling situation with her year-round school in that there is only one class at her grade level during Track Four.   That means she’s with the same students from kindergarten through fifth grade.   She happily went to school this morning and saw every one of her friends as well as her braillest and VI teacher.  The only one that was new was Mrs. Baker, her second grade teacher—who she already loves apparently.

The Big Boy Update:  I had two blog post things for this section within the first five minutes my son was up this morning.   I have no idea why, but the first thing he asked me was, “I wonder if life guards get tans?”   Then he went upstairs and got dressed.   He’s always done a good job of coordinating his outfits.  Today he came downstairs and told me he was dressed in all blue (including his underpants).   He said, “Blue is my favorite number.   I mean letter.   I mean color!"

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:  I sent my daughter off in her “cab” this morning which was a new driver and new company.   This one is more strict and likely more safe.  There is a camera in the car, the driver can’t pull their phone out while driving and in this case, she got to us with a van that had only seventy-nine miles on it.   We are also required to acknowledge that we’ve received our child at the end of the day.   For the last two years my daughter has just disappeared into the house and the driver has assumed that meant we were home (we were).   To some that might be alarming but it worked fine for us as many times we weren’t close to the door when she got home.   She likes her new driver and so do we.

No comments:

Post a Comment