Thursday, July 11, 2019

The Best Breakfast Vegetables

We’re mostly eating on the boat on our sailing trip as opposed to going on island to go to restaurants. This was by suggestion from the family we’re sailing with.   They’ve done this before and it’s just easier.   People can snack or eat when they want, we’re not waiting around for everyone to get dressed in clothes instead of bathing suits so we can pile into the dinghy to get to shore, to walk somewhere, to wait at a table to order and eventually get food.   This is just easier.

My husband and Alice have mostly done the cooking.   Richard is the captain which involves countless decisions every day to make sure we’re all safe and our journey is moving forward (even in the absence of the left, rear prop.). My jobs?  I’m still finding them.  It turns out I’m good at cutting up a watermelon during high chop while the boat is underway.   I’m also good at doing the dishes.   And tidying up.   Always tidying up.

For food, we’re not eating anything special, mostly comfort foods like hotdogs with baked beans, sandwiches or pasta.   Each morning Alice gets in the kitchen and makes all sorts of things.  Lots of toast comes out on plates as well as something called, “breakfast vegetables”.

My son is fairly adventurous with food and was willing to try the sautéed cabbage, onions and peppers and after two bites asked if he could have more.   My daughter said things like, ‘yukky’, ‘it smells bad’, and ‘I don’t want it!”

We had a discussion with the children before we left, explaining that the food on the boat was what would be served and that we expected them to eat it and not complain.   I upped the, “no thank you bite” requirement to two bites (not nibbles).   My daughter was unhappy about this.

So when I put the breakfast vegetables on her plate (two small bites worth) she was adamant she didn’t like them.   Until she tried them, and then she wanted more too.

During lunch yesterday my son said, “Alice, you make the best vegetables.”  We all like them so much my husband is going to get her recipe so he can make them when we get home.

As I just writing this, a large sea turtle just swam right up to the boat.   I missed getting a picture.   I bet there’ll be more.

The Big Boy Update:  My son has been into riddles lately.   Andrew and Julia asked him to tell me his favorite riddle and then followed up with, “we’re going to tell you the answer, because you’d never figure it out.”   Note that my son did not make this up, he read it somewhere and it kicked off his riddle mania.  The Riddle:  You’re in a room with no doors or other ways out.   There is a mirror and a table.   How do you get out?”  The answer:  you look in the mirror and you see what you saw.   You take the saw and cut the table in half.   Two halves make a whole.   You go put the hole (whole)  on the wall and walk out of the room.

The Tiny Girl Chronicles: As my daughter was changing clothes yesterday she told me this, "It's kind of nice when you go tot he bathroom in the ocean because it's kind of like, "hey dude, look at me, I'm going to the bathroom and I don't have to flush"

No comments:

Post a Comment