Friday, January 18, 2019

Hanging Up

My daughter went out with Mimi and Gramps (my parents) today.   They went to lunch first and then to the local train station to gather information on a trip they’re planning to take next week with my daughter to a nearby town.   My daughter is looking forward to the train trip.  

The other thing they had planned to do is go ti an antiques store.  My father loves antique stores and he and my mother have been stopping in to look at what’s inside for my entire live.   At first thought this might seem to be a boring part of the trip for her, but she sees the world differently.  Or doesn’t see it the same way as we do.  

There would be lots of things for my mother to tell her about and feel.  My daughter and I had had a conversation recently about how sometimes phrases didn’t make sense.  I told her the history of why when we terminate a phone call we call it, “hanging up”.

I told her to ask Mimi to see if they had any old telephones that you actually hung up when they were at the store.   She wanted know what else they might have there when I dropped her off at my parent’s house this morning.   I explained that there would be lots of things that were very old and that that’s what, ‘antique’ meant.

She asked me, “does that mean dead people?"

The Big Boy Update:  My son and I were listening to some music in the car the other day.  He said, “I don’t know why, but this song reminds me of the color blue.”   Then he followed up with, “this is our favorite kind of music, it’s electric."

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:  My daughter loves spending time with Mimi.  Today I got a phone call from her with a question: did I like cherry jello with bananas?  She was asking because she and Mimi had made some and did we want any brought home?   She called back later to say there had been a problem—Gramps had eaten one of the bananas.   But it was okay, she said, “I’ll let Greyson have mine because I already had some."

No comments:

Post a Comment