Friday, January 25, 2019

Boats and Ropes

Our friends came to visit tonight.   They’ll be visiting all weekend on and off, staying with us but also  catching up with other friends in town.  We got some Chinese food and had boisterous conversation while we ate, discussing various things as including plans for our sailing trip in July.  My daughter was wanting the, “raise your hand if you want to talk” method of conversation to be implemented but it fell flat as multiple threads were happening simultaneously amongst food, wine and desserts.

After dinner Richard transformed our living room into a boat and had everyone sit inside the defined perimeter.  Children who strayed out were warned with, “man overboard!”  We learned boat directions including: dead ahead, dead astern, off the port beam, broad on the starboard bow, broad on the port quarter.

The children had had about enough of sitting still (which they hadn’t done much of even during the lesson) and were left to their own devices.   My son enlisted Andrew in some playing of Super Smash Brothers, or Fortnite, or Mario Kart.   I’m not really sure but I do know they were trying to find Andrew some time later and he was hiding.   He had come back down to the living room, where the rest of us were busily reviewing the different ways to tie a bowline knot from various orientations and was hiding under a blanket.  

I wasn’t sure if Andrew wanted to be found or not so we let him stay hidden for a while before we let my daughter play hot and cold to locate him after she explained she couldn’t see him because she was blind, but she was looking and could we please help.  Once found he played with her and the dog and then returned to play video games with my son after my daughter went to sleep.

I’m hoping there isn’t a quiz on the boat terminology tomorrow because I don’t have them memorized in my head yet.  

The Big Boy Update:  My son’s school’s Winterfest was today.   He sang four songs with his class and did one group dance.  There was one song that had an instrumental interlude where all the children did freestyle dancing.  He did his Fortnite dances in his bowtie and jacket.   Some of the parents commented later about how good he was.

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:  My daughter love spending time with Mimi.   She’s been doing things every day with her.   Mimi gives her undivided attention and there is nothing in the world more that she loves.   Mimi has a lot of love to give.

No comments:

Post a Comment