Tuesday, January 8, 2019

Chinese Lantern Festival

My daughter’s retired braillest met us tonight at the Chinese Lantern Festival.   I was wondering if my daughter would be able to see anything at all even though her teacher said there were a lot of lights to be seen and they were very bright at night.

As we came around the corner to the amphitheater just as the last light of the day was fading I understood what her teacher had meant—there were a lot of lights, lighting up the area all around the lake and stage area.  I had thought there would be a lamp lighting ceremony and didn’t realize most of the evening was a display you could walk through.  

We spent close to two hours there and my daughter could see some of the colors although it was marked how very little she could really see, considering how large and bright the displays are.   All the “lanterns” are made with patterned silk over steel frames.   Some of the displays were two stories tall.



My daughter liked the pumpkin carriage.   Her teacher helped her climb into it and feel around the spherical interior:



The Big Boy Update:  At the Chinese Lantern Festival my son enjoyed everything, particularly the large dragon that spanned the length of three school busses over the water.

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:  My daughter’s favorite thing at the lantern festival was a large drum you could beat that caused lights to dance and change colors on the mushroom-shaped lanterns above it.

No comments:

Post a Comment