Thursday, January 3, 2019

Going Blonde

My dog is going blonde.   It's sort of strange to know it’s coming, to watch it unfold.   When I called the breeder to inquire about a Soft Coated Wheaton Terrier I asked if she had any of the darker colored ones available.   Without laughing at me she said they all started out dark but all turned some variation of “wheat” colored all the way to almost white.

I looked online and sure enough, aside from the faces, the mature dogs were all light colored.   So I’ve known this was coming.   Here’s a picture of my daughter with Matisse on the day we picked her up at eight weeks:



I haven’t seen a hair shed yet, but she’s growing at a fierce rate.   She’s not quite four-months-old now and is already lightening up.   Here’s a picture of her back from tonight:



See that line of lightness down the center of her back?   That’s the hair I parted to show the roots.  Normally her hair is a wild and crazy mess; it took time and several distractionary toys to get her hair to lie down and behave,

That’s hair growth that’s coming in with dramatically less pigment.   Close up, with flash, it looks like this:



I’m looking across the room at two pillows of sheep’s fur and it looks like our dog is going to look like a sheep in a few months color-wise.

The Big Boy Update:  My son went back to school for the first day today.   He, “had a very good day and got all his work items completed”.   But the teacher also wants to have a conference next week.   I’m not sure what that means.

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:   My daughter does not want to get her head wet because of the ear infection.   And yet she needed a bath.   When I finally got her in, she was happy.  She stayed in longer and played some games involving ice cubes, which she kept needing refills of.

No comments:

Post a Comment