Tuesday, October 16, 2018

Spaghetti Splatter

Have you ever had a memory rush forward, cad up from the dregs of your brain because of some association you did’t even know you had?   I think it happens to me fairly often.   I like remembering things based on a smell or phrase or location.  

Tonight I was on the was home from dinner with Uncle Jonathan, Margaret, my husband and children after Mini Milers running with my children.   It was recently dark out, with drivers not mentally fully adjusted to the nighttime vision needed to do their best driving.  

Something happened ahead.   I didn’t see what it was, but two cars almost collided as they both tried to be the one going forward first.   Once the leader was established, the second car rode very closely up on the first until an opening appeared and the trailing car could whiz by, making their annoyance known.

The details of what happened to me when I was in college aren’t all there, but I remember some key parts.  First, we were driving on Alabama highways well into night.   Second, the person’s car we were riding in was brand new—possibly a few hundred miles at most.   And thirdly, the person driving wanted to be “cool”.  

I watched and we were tailed.   I looked around nervously as our car got in front of this, “jerk” and slowed down apparently trying to teach him a lesson or some such.  I probably chewed my nails as our car changed lanes multiple times, preventing the car behind us from passing us.  

Eventually the car got past but instead of driving quickly off, the car got in front of us and slowed down quickly.   Our friend with the new car hit his brakes as the car in front threw out a container of leftover spaghetti and meatballs directly at the windshield.

The other car won, hands down.   That spaghetti went everywhere and into the vents.   There weren’t any car washes late at night and by morning, the smell coming in the vents when the air conditioning was turned on was hard to stomach.   Tonight as I drove home I looked at the bag of left overs beside me and am glad I’ve never had an occasion or need to throw my leftovers out the window at another car.

The Big Boy Update:  My son watched the doTerra video made by children for the Children’s Kit essential oils.   He was really interested in them.   His therapist was too.   The asked me to order a kit for her to use with her other students.

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:  My daughter was very excited Shane was coming over the other day to watch her.   She was bouncing on her purple ball at the front door saying, “I can’t eat, I can’t sleep, all I can think about is Shane.  This is gonna be awesome!"

No comments:

Post a Comment