Sunday, October 14, 2018

I Told Me So

I have this prediction every year.   It’s sort of a non-global warming thing.   Wait, let me back up and start from the beginning…

I’ve lived in the same city all my life, save for some semesters at another school and extended work assignments.   Each year about mid-October the state fair comes to the fairgrounds about fifteen minutes from where we live.   Actually, where I’ve lived for all my life.   Wow, I guess I really haven’t moved around much.

Side track here to a zip code story.   I was born, raised, went to elementary school, junior high school and college all in on one zip code.   When I moved out to my first townhome it was also in the same zip code.   I bought a house later that was one zip code over.   I’m now in my third house in that second, neighboring zip code.   Forty-eight years, two zip codes is basically what I’m saying.  

And all those years I’ve been about fifteen minutes from the fairgrounds on which the state fair is held for nine days each year come mid-October.   So how does this relate to global warming?   It’s a timing thing.

Our summers are hot and humid.   It seems like every year summer goes on for longer and longer.   Since the global warming/climate change was initially a news topic, it’s been something we discuss every summer.   Yes, yes, climate change doesn’t happen that quickly, but hold oh, it’s still summery weather and temperatures later this year than it’s been before, right?   Is that rebound ice age just around the corner?   Is this the first sign?

Every year we think the same thing: summer is staying for longer and at hotter temperatures.   And then I figured out something, something key: every year during the fair, it suddenly becomes jacket weather.

This seems specific that I’d remember this exact change, but there’s a reason.   I’m cold-natured.   If it’s even remotely cold-ish I’m going to wear a jacket.   If it’s cold and then it gets hot, I’ll still wear a jacket but take it off and tie it around my waist when it becomes warmer later in the day.   Also, I hate having more clothing on me than necessary and I don’t like a jacket tied around my waist.

So with the fair when I was younger, we’d be talking about the weather and how it looked like this year was going to be warm weather and we wouldn’t have to deal with the whole jacket nonsense.   Then the week of the fair would roll around and it would be jacket weather, or at least partially so, for at least some of the long hours we’d planned on being at the fair I was going to need a jacket.   Drat.

This year was looking much the same as before, although after this many years I’m boldly telling people of my "fair jacket temperature” prediction.   But it was very hot this year.   Almost into the nineties.   The fair was set to open on Thursday but we had hurricane Michael come barreling through during part of the day.   They made a decision to close the fair for the rainy and yet non-jacket temperature on Thursday.

The fair opened on Friday…to much colder weather.   To jacket weather.   Today, we were going to the fair with my in-laws.   I rolled over this morning to look at the forecast and thought, “I told me so” as I saw a current temperature of fifty-one degrees with a high of sixty-three degrees by the time we got home.   So maybe global warming isn’t here just yet.

The Big Boy Update: My son went on an upside down roller coaster today.   He didn’t want to do rides for a while and then I got a picture from my husband saying my son had agreed to go on “this one” with him.   The next thing I got was a video of my son talking about how it wasn’t that bad.   Apparently the ride (it was a big loop) stopped upside down right in the middle at one point.   I think my son was pretty excited about going on the ride (and being cool about it afterwards.)

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:  My daughter got a little self-centered today while we were at the fair.   Suddenly it was all about her.   I was walking her through a building of vendors.   She said she was thirsty but that she wanted specifically a lime fizz from one particular booth (which is indeed the best lime fizz at the fair).   I told her we couldn’t go there because we were waiting for her brother and father to meet us beside this building.   I don’t remember what happened next but it was another round or two of selfish, I want it now-type of comments.   I squatted down and squeezed her hand, talking very firmly and clearly, saying this day was not just about her, that she had already been on rides, had fudge and done other things she wanted to do.   If she wasn’t going to change her attitude she and I could go to the car right now and wait for everyone else to finish their day at the fair.   I stood up and started walking, pulling her along behind me.   I don’t think she realized I heard her as she said, “we’ll see about that."


No comments:

Post a Comment