Thursday, October 4, 2018

Balance and Motion

My daughter’s class worked on a science unit recently titled, “Balance and Motion”.   Before they started the unit the students wrote down their questions about balance and motion.   My daughter’s questions included:

  • How does a snake slither?
  • What does a dolfin eat?
  • How dows water moov with out wind?
  • Wut is moshin?
  • Wut are people made of?
  • How does a carit grow?
  • Wut is a vois box?
  • Wut is a bear made out of?

Then they discussed what scientists do.   My daughter wrote:
  • Ask queshjins
  • Study
  • Find dineusors bowns
  • Are inspiring
  • Are smart
The did experiments over the next few days including: adding counterweights to help balance shapes in stable positions using clothes pins, finding a way to get a pencil to balance on its point, changing spinning motion in a top, and balancing a crayfish on its nose (I’d like to have seen this one).

It’s interesting to see what my children are doing in school.   I don’t know what I was doing in first grade, I have the vaguest memories of that time, mostly where the classroom was in the elementary school I attended and the location I sat in the classroom.   I don’t even remember the teacher’s name, although I remember she was quite old and became ill during and had to be replaced with a different teacher part-way through the school year.

The Big Boy Update:  My son hasn’t wanted to talk about how he’s done in school the last several days, but today he got in the car when my husband picked him up, saying he’d had a great day.   He’s very happy right now, bouncing around the house, playing happily with his sister.

The Tiny Girl Chronicles: When we were leaving the restaurant after dinner on Tuesday night, my children had some pennies Margaret had given them to throw in the fountain at the entrance.   My daughter’s wishes were:  to have infinite money and to have her own chocolate factory.   My son jumped in and told her she shouldn’t say her wishes out loud or they wouldn’t come true.   So her third and final wish was a secret, she told us.

No comments:

Post a Comment