Sunday, October 28, 2018

International Names

My son and I went to the International Festival at the convention center today.   My daughter’s brainiest from last year who’s now retired and I love all kinds of food, so we’ve now decided to go to food events and festivals as they happen.  

She suggested bringing my son even though my daughter couldn’t make it.   She also suggested bringing a piece of paper and a clipboard so that my son could have his name written in other languages.

It sounded like a good idea, so I got the clipboard and paper and we went to the festival.   My son, Mrs. Aagaard and I got as much in the way of variety as we could from the different cuisine booths, waiting a few hours between lunch number one and lunch number two.   My son is an adventurous eater, which makes me proud.

After the first lunch we went to the cultural booths.   My son was interested in all the countries and asked questions so he could get a stamp in his “passport” booklet.   He filled his whole book up and from the comments we were getting from the various booths, not many children were doing so.

The other thing we were doing was asking if they could write both my son and daughter’s names for them in their language.    Interestingly enough, I think we were the only people doing this because the responses were such that we realized they hadn’t been asked by anyone else.

The people at the booths would many times discuss how to write my children’s names, asking us for pronunciation.   They would explain to my son how it was broken down by sound and also if the reading direction was from right to left instead of left to right like English.

One booth thought the idea was such a good one she asked if she could take a picture of my children’s name sheets.   Mrs. Aagaard may be retired but she’s still a teacher.




The Big Boy Update: At the International Festival we took a break after lunch to watch some of the cultural dances.   When I was my son’s age I would have no patience or interest in watching dancing from other countries, but my son loved it, sitting calmly and watching with rapt attention.   Mrs. Aagaard and I were hungry for the next round of food but my son asked twice if we could stay longer to watch the next performance.   Later, he asked if he could even go back and watch while we did some quick shopping.

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:  My husband and daughter are at a Y Guides event today.   One of the things they did was get in a canoe and paddle around a lake.   There was a high-powered hose spraying water into the lake at one spot and as they were canning underneath it my daughter if it was water from the lake or was it new water?  Her father told her they pumped it from the lake and then sprayed it back in.   My daughter asked why and my husband told her he didn’t know, maybe it was for fun?   My daughter said in dismayed tone, "what a waste of energy."

No comments:

Post a Comment