Thursday, October 25, 2018

Cake Tasting

Today my husband and I went with Uncle Bob to a cake tasting for his upcoming wedding.   You would think this would be a fairly simple thing—deciding which things you like and which things you don’t.   Only it wasn’t so simple.

Everything was good.   There were three cakes and six icings.   Some of the icings could be internal icings between layers.   Most of the icings could go on the exterior of the cake but some couldn’t.   There were fruit-based icings, almond icing, butter creme icing and ganache.   And it was all good.

The cake would have six layers, leaving five icing locations to decide upon between the layers.   Do you go simple with the same thing between each layer or do you have more than one icing option?  And speaking of layers, do you have all the same cake for the six layers or do you do different cakes?  And if so, how do you layer the layers?

But wait, there’s more… There will be two tiers of cake.   Do you make the tiers the same?  Or different?   And…and…and what about a cake topper?   Did you want a cake topper?   What type of decorations do you want in the icing on the cake as well?

I have to tell you, I’m glad it’s not my wedding and my decision to make, I thought.   And then the pastry chef told us, “all these flavors go well together; you’re not going to make a bad choice.”   Not being able to go wrong is a good thing.  

The Big Boy Update:  We went to Pei Wei for dinner with Uncle Bob last night.   We arrived early and the restaurant was nearly empty.   We ordered our food and then waited for what was the longest wait I’ve ever encountered at a Pei Wei.   My son after a while asked, “why is this called fast food?"

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:  My daughter is obsessed with her purple ball.   She has to be touching it at all times it seems.   My husband asked me yesterday if I thought it was possible that the purple ball, large in dimension and rubbery, was a protector for my daughter, keeping her from running into things in our house.   I think he’s right.   She does put it in front of her a lot.

No comments:

Post a Comment