Wednesday, August 16, 2017

The Golden Sharpie

My son likes pens and pencils that are silver and gold.   There is a strong possibility this is connected to the silver and gold Power Rangers or maybe NinjaGo characters or Transformers.   Either way, he loves  metallic colors.

Last night we were working on some braille words and numbers with my daughter which is very interesting and worthy of a blog post or two because it’s another world from the reading we do as sighted people.    During the time my husband and I were working with her, my son was drawing with a gold sharpie on a piece of paper.   He had all these symbols he made up indicating powers of certain animals and forces of nature.   It was pretty impressive how many he did and how specific he was with what each meant.

He had gold all over his hands but I didn’t think much of it because it wasn’t long ago that my daughter got paint and marker all over her face in her attempts to draw and see what she was doing from one inch away from the paper.  Then at the end of his drawing he started wielding the pen as a sword at the table.    Again, thought nothing of it and we shuffled them off to bed.

Then, this morning I walked out into the living room to what looked like blood spatter trails across the wall paint and all over the floor.   Sharpie spatter.   Everywhere.   Did I mention Sharpie?  Yeah…apparently he was having more imaginary battles with the Sharpie and it was leaking through the back of the pen.

My husband and I spent a good bit of time with acetone and q-tips getting what we could off some of the surfaces, complaining how the gold massacre of the living room went on and on.   Unfortunately we’re going to have to repaint some.   Strict rules have been implemented so that ink-based implements are no longer allowed to be wielded as weapons.

The Big Boy Update:  My son went shopping with our sitter and picked out t-shirts for him and his sister.   He selected one that said, “Snaccident: when you accidentally eat all the bacon”.   For him, fitting.

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:  Our sitter had a day with my daughter a while back.   They did some painting in her garage.   Some really great paintings on real canvas.   My husband picked one of his favorites and had it framed.   My daughter liked it so much she’s decided she wants all her artwork framed.


No comments:

Post a Comment