Thursday, August 31, 2017

Another Hematoma

My daughter was having a pillow fight with my son, husband and me tonight.   She wanted to be the referee and hand out points for well-placed pillow hits.   I don’t know how she was figuring who got what for points because I was making sure my husband and son weren’t going to win just because they’d decided to gang up on me.  And that’s when it happened.

My daughter was in the frog position she squats in frequently.   I quickly bent down to grab a recently landed pillow and at the same time she launched into the air and clocked me right on the edge of my left eye orbit.

We both fell to the ground with me making some loud painful sound and holding my face while she did that long pause before launching into a fit of crying.    My son went downstairs to get ice packs and my husband came over to look at me.

Tonight it wasn’t my daughter that got the hematoma, it was me.    It grew to about a firm grape-sized knot on my face.   I took some pictures and I looked like a Klingon without all the makeup.   Three minutes later my daughter was fine.  

I called my chiropractor and asked what I needed to do.   He told me where to prod (around the orbit) and since that didn’t make me scream like a little girl he said it was probably not broken.   He gave me some icing advice and had me prod around in another spot at the base of the back of my skull and when I told him it hurt where he predicted it would as a result of the collision he told me to come see him tomorrow and he’d fix it.   So now I’m icing per his directions, not carrying furniture from the basement to the attic tonight and going to bed soon.  
   
The Big Boy Update:  My son bought home a bear from his visit with Nana and Papa this past weekend.   He has been all about this bear that looks like the traditional Teddy Bear wearing a blue shirt bearing the phrase, “Home Sweet Home”.   My son told me last night, “I wish my bear was alive.”  We talked about the movie Pinocchio for a bit.

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:  My daughter has been interested in fire drills due to the practice runs they’ve had at her new school.   She asked me, “why don’t we have fire drills at home?”   Then she wanted to know to know,   “What about our cars?”  But the most distressing thing to her was If we have a fire in our house and it burns down, we would get out and leave our belongings behind.   I explained we could always get more things, but there was only one of her.   She got more upset asking, “but will we have to get new iPads because I like how my case feels.”

No comments:

Post a Comment