Thursday, April 27, 2017

To See or Not to See

My daughter can see—her eye is open post-surgery, but that doesn’t mean she can see like the rest of us can see.   I’ve been getting updates from her Visual Impairment teacher and it’s not great news.   That doesn’t mean it won’t be better news when we get her lenses that match her actual refraction, but for now it’s not great.

She isn’t able to discern letters on a page, even at 48 point font.   She cried today (a first) when she worked with Raffaella and is sad because she can’t see what she could even in a clouded visual state before the necessary surgery.   But we’re still hopeful.

She prefers the “blue glasses” but I’m not sure those are the best prescription for her.   We think she likes them because the frames are blue.   But we have to go with what she likes for now.  

Tomorrow we have a slight chance of getting a refraction at her post-op follow-up appointment.  Maybe, maybe we’ll know more then.   For now, she’s working with what she has and we’re trying to help her through her limited sighted world as best we can.

The Big Boy Update:  We were talking about favorite colors in the car on the way home from school today.   My daughter’s favorite color for as long as she’s had a preference has been green.   For some reason today my son switched from blue an orange to green.    I asked them if they knew what my favorite color was, knowing they’d been told many times how I liked orange.   My son, with complete confidence informed me, “I know what your favorite color is mom, it’s tan”.

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:  There was a brief period tonight when my daughter had her iPad.  The television show she wanted wasn’t playing for some reason.  I told her I couldn’t help as I was in the middle of something else.   A few minutes later she called out from the other room, “I know what the problem is, mom––the internet has gone crazy”  

No comments:

Post a Comment