Thursday, April 13, 2017

Hamburger Cheeseburger Hamburger Cheeseburger

My daughter likes cheeseburgers; my son likes hamburgers.   My husband likes hamburgers or more specifically hates cheeseburgers; I don’t really like hamburgers or cheeseburgers but if I’m going to have one I’d rather have the cheese-laden variety.   When we’re out ordering food my son will rarely choose a hamburger, opting more for the corndog, chicken nuggets or steak options.   My daughter, when she isn’t interested in mac-n-cheese, likes cheeseburgers for the most part.

But my daughter also likes to do what other people are doing.   She might pick lemonade for dinner but upon hearing her friend wants water or milk, will change her mind.   She might not want a particular food item but when she finds out her brother is having that item (and they’re currently not fighting) she’ll want that item too.

Today when we were discussing with the children what lunch options were available at the pool bar, my mother-in-law mentioned hamburgers, cheeseburgers and grilled cheese sandwiches.   My son immediately said, “hamburger”.   My daughter followed up with, “I want a hamburger too”.   And this was unusual because she never wants just a hamburger.

My mother-in-law asked if she wasn’t sure she wanted a cheeseburger instead, but my daughter was firm.   Then Nana tried another route, not wanting to have a meal arrive to be immediately followed by the phrase, “yucky!” and a battle over eating what was ordered.  The new tactic Nana tried was asking if she wanted “a hamburger that had cheese on it?”   My daughter wasn’t fooled by this ruse and said, “no, I want a hamburger!”

She and my son got their hamburgers and they both ate a good bit of their lunch before jumping into the pool.

The Big Boy Update:  My son said today, “Nana, I think my friends from school would like you.”  Nana looked over at him sitting on the edge of the pool and said, “why is that?”  My son replied, “because you’re a nice girl”.   Nana told him for a seventy-one-year-old lady, she thought that was quite a compliment.

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:  The dishwasher in our condo had a problem Nana discovered—when both trays were pulled out and full, the whole washer tipped forward out from under the cabinet.   Nana was talking about calling maintenance to have it fixed when my daughter questioned the whole situation by saying, “maybe it’s designed that way?”   Thirty minutes later with two screws added by the maintenance man the washer stayed in place once again.

The Weight Gain Vacation:  Isn’t it the way?  I have no idea how much I’ve put on while on vacation but I imagine it’s a lot.   Nothing but excess food and lack of exercise.   Still, fabulous fun on vacation.  I’ll pay pound penance when I get home.

No comments:

Post a Comment