Saturday, April 8, 2017

Not According to Plan

Today our family left for vacation.   It did not go as planned.   We got up early, were all packed, got the children in the car and go to the airport.  My husband printed out the baggage check tickets and we went to the check in area and then I reached into my pants pocket where I had put my driver’s license and…it wasn’t there.   Thus ensued panic—on my part.  My husband, true to his nature, was calm.   It was gone though and no matter how many times I checked the pocket, my license wasn’t there.

I retraced my steps to the car, drove with lightning speed home and it wasn’t there, grabbed my passport and still missed the flight.   It’s spring break week for many people and schools so every flight was overbooked and I was on standby for a multiple connection trip, which I didn’t make on the first leg, causing the other, questionable connections to be moot.

This is a long, but well-ended story with one of the staff and their manager getting me confirmed seats on flights that were in standby only for tomorrow morning very, very early (which suited me just fine).   I went home and got a lot of things done without children for the remainder of the day.

Bad morning with me losing my mind, going into hysterics because in all the years I was a business traveller and, even for all my adult life, I’ve never lost my drivers license.   The good news is I did find my license and I am traveling tomorrow, but it wasn’t the plan for the start of our vacation.

Thanks to my husband for taking our children and luggage all the way to California.   I’m looking forward to catching up with family and starting my vacation a day late, but with drivers license intact.

The Big Boy Update:  My son is allergic to cats.  Our friend, Dylan, who is thirteen, likes to wear a cat headband with cat ears.   My son told us he needs to get allergy tested for cats because, “Dylan is part cat”.

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:  My daughter has upcoming cataract surgery on the 19th.   It will change her vision dramatically initially, but we’re hoping it will be for the better.   We’re carefully preparing her for the surgery, not telling her too much because she can’t understand and make concrete the change until she experiences it and we don’t want to put any fear into her mind.   It something we’ve been hoping for, but we know it will be a big change when it happens.   I think she will impress us, like she always does, in how she handles the change.

No comments:

Post a Comment