Sunday, April 9, 2017

This Isn’t The Desert

I did make it to vacation today.   I was gladly up at four o’clock this morning to head to the airport with my total baggage consisting of my laptop bag with my purse inside.   I got to the airport and had not a single hiccup in the entire day’s travel.   I arrived in Palm Springs at 10:18AM and caught up with everyone shortly thereafter.

I’ve never been here before.   I was told it was, “the desert” by my in-laws.   I see mountains all around but the signs of desert climate are clearly visible.   My son and daughter didn’t find the desert here to be what they were expecting.   I am guessing when they’ve talked about deserts in their class or they’ve seen them on television shows what’s been presented is the completely dry, sand dune type of desert.   That’s the mental image they expected to find when we landed here.

My son made his opinion know as they were driving in from the airport, saying, “this isn’t the desert, there are buildings here.”

My daughter wanted to, “touch the desert”.   The closest thing available was the median in the rental car parking lot which had sand and pebbles.   She rubbed her hands all over it and got dirty, but she was happy feeling some of the desert.

Tomorrow we’re going on a jeep ride to the San Andreas fault during which we’ll have a chance to stop and experience more desert-like areas for the children.

The Big Boy Update:  My son had asked my mother-in-law a question tonight in the car as we were heading to dinner.   She realized she might have missed a turn and stopped to talk to Uncle Bob about  directions.   My son was apparently impatient for Nana to get back to his question because he said to her, “c’mon, speak up.”

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:  My daughter has suddenly started (as in within the last two days) calling everyone poopy and stupid if she doesn’t like what’s happening.  I’m not sure what the impetus is, but the consequences are getting stiffer.

No comments:

Post a Comment