Wednesday, April 26, 2017

Cleaning the Glasses

This morning my daughter came downstairs and got on the bed.   Yesterday when she first opened her eyes she was on our bed and after looking at me and giggling, she looked down at the patterned comforter and told me she could see some of the patterns and started tracing lines with her finger.   This morning she said sadly, “mom, I can only see white on the bed today.”  

I was groggy, but this concerned me so I told her her eyes might not be awake yet and to give it a minute.   As I rolled over she suddenly said, “oh, I was looking in the wrong place.”   She had been looking at the white sheet instead of the dark comforter.   So good news she could still see, but do you get a little understanding here that while she can see some things, there is a heck of a lot she’s not visually able to discern.

Next she told me there was, “some gloop” in her eye and when I told her to be gentle with her eyes (she’s still post-surgical and healing) she decided to dab some water in her eyes to clear them up.   And then she said something she’s never said before, “I think it’s time to clean my glasses. they’re a little dirty.”

She has glasses cleaner and a special pincer cleaning tool she can use and be successful with all by herself and she remembered where it was in the drawer in the bathroom.   She took about five minutes, making sure her glasses were completely clean and then decided she most definitely needed breakfast.

She went to school today and worked with one of her Visual Impairment (VI) teachers.   I had alerted her that we’d be sending in all three pair of her glasses and if she could help us on what my daughter was seeing or which pair of glasses worked best to please let us know.

When I picked the children up my daughter seemed largely unfazed about her return to school.   When I asked her though it did turn out she and Raffaella had been testing out the glasses.   She said the blue pair (+22) were good for reading and the new pink pair (+17) were good for other stuff.   She wasn’t sure, but the old pink pair (+12) might be good for playing outside, only it was too sunny so she had to wear her old sunglasses (+4.5) and did the best she could with those.

The Big Boy Update:  My son got into an argument with his sister while my mother was over today.   I wasn’t sure, but I thought it might be because Mimi was paying a lot of attention to his sister, and less to him.   The fact that Mimi was protecting and watching out for my daughter due to her lack of vision and recent surgery wasn’t something I think he realized.   When we figured that out we had him ask Mimi if she would play with him when she was available.   Of course she said she would love to and in short order she came inside and had a nice, quiet play time just with him.

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:  When my daughter got in the car to come home from school, was she excited about going back to school and seeing her friends?  No, not really.   She wanted to tell me about the new braille book she borrowed about a circle.   She was going to “read” it to us tonight at bedtime and then she had to take it back to school tomorrow because she could only borrow it for one day.

No comments:

Post a Comment