Saturday, April 29, 2017

Family Day Trip

We drove an hour-and-a-half today to visit my cousin (whom we call “Aunt” to our children) and her family.   My children love their Aunt Rebecca, Uncle Dale and Cousin Olivia.   My parents went with us and we had a smooth drive, excepting some bickering from the small ones in the third row.    We had been scheduling this get-together for several months, had last-minute cancellation due to illness (my daughter) but today was the day.

It also happened to be Uncle Dale’s birthday, which everyone was glad to celebrate with pizza and ice cream sandwiches.   My children’s favorite part I think was playing with Olivia on her Floof pillow.  Think of it as a memory foam version of a bean bag chair that fits three people.   They took trip after trip to find stuffed animals and brought them down to the basement for the Floof-based games they were playing.

The adults all had a chance to catch up and see their new house, which looks like it was made for them.  We got to see Olivia’s swimming medals and trophies and her new Venice-styled bedroom which is pretty much my kind of style.  

We left with two tired children, both happily eating a bag of snacks Aunt Rebecca gave them.   They were asleep before we got on the highway, something that hasn’t happened for a long time.   I told Aunt Rebecca, Uncle Dale and Olivia we’d like to come back, and since the children had such a fun time, we’d be glad to leave them there for a weekend…

The Big Boy Update:  My son was talking to Aunt Rebecca today who is four years my senior and a person I always looked up to as we grew up.    My son said, “why do you look so young?”  Aunt Rebecca told him that made her feel very happy and that ladies always liked hearing comments like that.   But my son wasn’t done.  Next he said, “why do you look younger than my mom?”  

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:  Vocabulary lesson tonight.   My daughter is “aphakic”.   This means she has no natural lenses in her eyes.   Having no lenses doesn’t mean you can’t see, it just means you need glasses or contacts with a significant prescription.

No comments:

Post a Comment