Sunday, April 2, 2017

I Made It Through

I was sick last night.  I got what my daughter had Thursday and Friday.   We found out today that our next door neighbors had it as well, with each of their family members getting it two days offset from the prior person.

Was it bad?  Yes and no.   Because I knew the duration my daughter had gone through with vomiting and then exhaustion I was ready for a rough but manageable night.   I started vomiting at eight o’clock and by three in the morning my stomach had shut down and there was no more bile being aggressively pumped in, causing me to vomit every hour.  

After that was able to rest a little more, excepting the trips to the bathroom due to the other insistent symptom, diarrhea.  (Did I mention this was going to be a graphic post?  Oops.)   The only problem I had now was getting in some sort of pain relief for the body aches and flu-like symptoms.   Symptoms I had, even though I had no fever.

I took Tylenol, but it say in my stomach with the water and ginger ale and turned into a largely unabsorbed acidic mess which ended up coming back up an hour later.  I had better luck with children’s liquid ibuprofen and was in a lot less distress and pain, now twelve hours after onset of symptoms.

The rest of the day I’ve been moving very slowly, mostly resting and just now at close to twenty-four hours after I started to feel sick, I think I’m going to be okay.   We’re all hoping my son and husband don’t get it.

Special thanks to my mother, Mimi, who made us a huge vat of our favorite vegetable soup, bread and a special strawberry cake dessert.   By the time she dropped it off, careful not to set foot in the house of sick, we were all hungry.   I ate two bowls and might go back for a third later.

The Big Boy Update:  I was lying in the bed today recovering from being sick when my son came into the room.   I said, “hey buddy, I love you.”   He looked at me and said back, “I like you.”  I’ll take what I can get.

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:  My daughter was worried about me today.   She went to the outside refrigerator and got a ginger ale—something we save for upset stomachs—and brought it to me.   She also drew me a card and wrote “I love you mommy” on it.

No comments:

Post a Comment