Monday, April 17, 2017

Regular Radio

My children live in an on-demand world.   When they want to watch a show they don’t have to wait for it to come on a particular channel at a specific time—they can just select and stream the episode of choice from their iPads.  

When we want to listen to music we don’t have to put on a record or tape cassette, we just pull up the iPhone and start the song, or better yet, we ask Alexa or the car to play the song and it starts immediately.  

When we were in Palm Springs we had a rental car that, alas, didn’t have the high-tech fanglie danglie options.   We had FM and AM.   We found a station that played pop music and left it on for the trip.    The children were initially disappointed they couldn’t request songs.  The most interesting part was explaining how traditional radio works.   My husband is great at making things complicated like this understandable to children so I let him do the talking.

The Big Boy Update:  My son was being warned about a potential consequence if he chose to do something.   He replied, “I don’t care what’s in the future.   I don’t care what I do.   I just do what I do.   And the future is in the future.”

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:  My daughter’s hearing is acute and honed given the loss of vision she has.   Today in the midst of conversation in the kitchen she was the next area over in the breakfast nook.   She knew I was making lunches and suddenly announced, “I just heard you zippering the lunch boxes, what did I get for snack?”  She realized when they were zippered I was putting them in the refrigerator for tomorrow and the packing of their lunches was complete.

No comments:

Post a Comment