Saturday, August 27, 2016

Poink

Children mishear or create words all the time.   Typically and most commonly we help them by letting them know the word they’re trying to say.   At this point my children are mostly confusing tenses in their sentences saying things like, “I throwed it to him”.   They’re fairly receptive to suggestions of word changes—children actually like to learn things and don’t get upset when they’re corrected.

Sometimes we hear a word that’s just funny or different and we can’t help but use it instead of the actual word.   My son loved motorcycles when he was tiny but for some reason pronounced the word, “mackamuck”.   My daughter called her diaper a “bah pooh” and pacifiers were shortened to “fassire” to name a few examples.

My daughter has a new word lately that seems to encompass a lot of things.  “Poink” means anything sharp that might her her.   It could be a needle for an injection or IV line, tweezers to get a splinter out or anything else remotely pointy and possibly painful.  

So we’ve adopted the word.  I told her yesterday when she went to the eye doctor, “there will be no poinks, she’s just going to look at your eyes.”   That calmed my daughter and she was happy the entire time we were at the doctor’s.   She doesn’t like poinks.

The Big Boy Update:  I asked my son where he got the Pokemon cards with dad the other day.   He said, “what’s that store with the red circle and dot?”   Ah, “that’s Target” I told him.

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:  My daughter has been sleeping without diapers for some time now.   She is prone to accidents if she’s not awakened once per night to go to the bathroom.    Tonight before going to bed she went into the bathroom and sat on the toilet.   She said, “what if I just sleep on the toilet?  Then I could just go whenever I wanted to.”  

Fitness Update:  We ran eighteen miles today.   We probably walked about a mile of the total because it was seventy-nine percent humidity and eighty-five-ish degrees.  The sun was beating down on us and even though we drank as much water as we could and ate Gu packets at every stop, it was a taxing run.

No comments:

Post a Comment