Friday, August 12, 2016

Music Lessons All Around

The Big Boy Music Therapy Update:  
My son had his first music therapy session today.   He has been offered the opportunity before but hasn’t shown much interest.   Last time Chelsea was here he wanted to be involved with his sister’s session and said he would be interested, yes, now that he thought about it.

Today was his first session, following his sister’s.   Shortly before I reminded him about it to find out he was absolutely, positively not interested in singing songs.   No way.  No how.   He told me, “I’m interested in science.”   I suggested they could sing a song about the planets or maybe he could play the guitar and learn how the different strings made different sounds.   He didn’t buy it at the time, but when it was his turn, he came upstairs and shyly sat on the floor in front of Chelsea.

When they were done, Chelsea told us how things went.  He, unlike my daughter, is very interested in talking about his feelings.   He said he wanted to do a sad song because he had been feeling sad since Lucy had died.   They sang a sad song and my son told Chelsea about all the things Lucy did in our family.  He told her about how we had Lucy’s ashes (in a box he wasn’t allowed to open) that we were going to plant to grow a new Lucy.    Then, they moved on to other songs, including I believe a dinosaur-themed song.

My son and daughter both handle their feelings differently, my daughter not easily sharing hers, with my son ready to tell how he feels if you ask in just the right way.

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:  As we arrived home from the pool this afternoon I told her I saw Edna’s car in the driveway and that she must be here cleaning.   My daughter said, “Edna is so annoying!”  I said in a hurt tone, “oh dear, that doesn’t sound like a kind thing to say about Edna.”   My daughter, seeming to complete her initial thought, said, “when she does the vacuuming and makes all that noise.”

No comments:

Post a Comment